This Page

has been moved to new address

what's black and white with a designer touch all over?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, January 18, 2010

what's black and white with a designer touch all over?

Hi everyone, this is Crystal and I blog over at Plush Palate. I'm so thrilled to help keep The Beauty File company while Lisi is on vacation. When she asked me to help out, I just had to say yes to a friend and yes meeting all of you!


I thought I'd share a current obsession with you today: black and white stripes! I can't seem to get enough of them lately. They're bold, confident, and make such a strong impression.



Did you know stripes were once associated with outcasts and thieves (hello jailbirds)? Today they've been resurrected as a contemporary, trendy pattern. Thank goodness for that because they look awfully good as an area rug.




With their long lines, they're visually clean and bring a sense of order to a space. I also tend to associate them with circuses and theatricality, which adds in just the right amount of fun for me! I'd love to experiment with using stripes in unexpected places, like under a bed or in a closet.




But perhaps the place I love them most of all is in an entryway. Talk about a strong entrance and lasting first impression! What do you think? Do you love them, too?

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Brandi said...

Great post, Crystal! The visual appeal of black and white done in a geometric way is so hard to deny. I especially love when it's paired with some bright colors.

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

hmmm beautiful - that gives me an idea for an area rug, thanks Crystal!

Best!
Alina
www.dreamingchic.blogspot.com

January 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Gorgeous! I love the simplicity of black/white!

January 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Taylor Kitto / The Little Deer said...

wow i love the patterns in all of these! and i also adore the colours as well.
you have a lovely blog!
enjoyed your post on daydream lily :)
xox
thelittledeers.blogspot.com

January 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Samantha Hutchinson said...

I LOVE stripes.. that rug is to die for

January 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

What's not to love? I've been on a hunt for a rug, and I think the stripes would be a great fit for under my dining table.

my-life-in-style.blogspot.com

January 19, 2010 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love black and white. Also love those bamboo chairs in the third picture.

January 19, 2010 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Crystal! Stripes are forever in my heart and b/w one's especially!

January 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Krissy (Shimmer Like Gold) said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so in love with black and white stripes it's probably not healthy. They're just so chic and graphic and just... yummy!

January 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Cara Kuhl said...

I'm not usually one to go for bold, but it works in all these pictures! You may just be turning me on to a new idea for our new home :)

Thanks Crystal!

January 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Daniella said...

Love the stripes! A classic.

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Kristina Krug with BR MAG said...

Just guest post!
Kristina w/ BR magazine

January 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE black and white stripes... in drapery it is FAB too!

January 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Aline said...

oh yes, my favorite look!

January 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sold! Adding to my wish list black and white stripes on walls!

January 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Splendid Willow said...

Great post Crystal! Black and white stripes are always classy and chic together when used with awareness. I always say that every room needs one black object for drama. Maybe I should say every room needs something w. black and white stripes! OX, Mon

January 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Paula Grace Designs said...

Black and white stripes ~ wonderful. So nice of you to help out! Always enjoy your posts.
Paula Grace ~

January 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah Klassen said...

A wonderful post, Crystal!

Black and white stripes are so beautiful and classic. I like how you've shown us some great ideas on incorporating them, seamlessly, into different spaces and looks...from feminine to modern to masculine. With other colors or neutrals, great ideas!

xo,
Sarah

January 20, 2010 at 2:19 AM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great post! superb ideas!

January 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Creategirl said...

great post Crystal! Black and White stripes always convey a bit of class! Though I agree, the entry way is the perfect place for this as a little can go a long way : )

January 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

love black & white stripes. i wear them but never used them in interiors. you've inspired me to give it a shot :)

January 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are all such inspiring ideas! I really love the boldness & contrast! Just stunning!

January 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Chicago Chic said...

Love Crystal, and love this post! The bold ideas look amazing.

xo
Rachel

January 21, 2010 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm all about black and white stripes...on my bod too!

January 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

The stripes are so chic. love love.

January 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

Thanks so much for having me as a guest Lisi! It was so much fun :)

xo,
Crystal

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home