This Page

has been moved to new address

The Skin{ny} Part I: The Moisture Trifecta

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, October 12, 2009

The Skin{ny} Part I: The Moisture Trifecta



My dear friend, Liz, of It's Unbeweavable! fame has paid me quite the compliment. She recently requested that I do a how-to post on my skin. This was kind of the most fabulous request I've ever received. Her comment went a little something like this:

Can I do a reader/stalker/obsessed fan request?
Your skin is ahhhmazing like O-FACE glow all the time, so gorgeous...
can you do a how-to?
K thxbai.

Don't we all just LOVE her? Yeah, she's just THAT cool.

{moi}

So, I decided to break these skin posts up into a weekly segment. I started writing this and realized I'd never fit everything into one post. So, keep tuned right here for weekly TBF skin tips. Please use the comment section to direct your questions to me. Also feel free to comment with any products you love {pertaining to the post topic}. We all love to know what's worked!

My knowledge is a result of personal trial and error and based on about 20 years of costly research with a sole participant. I am happy to help in any way I can. Without further adieu...
Post One:


The Moisture Trifecta
The moisture trifecta is CRUCIAL for achieving fabulous, glowing, quick romp in the sack skin. I personally believe moisture is the only way to get down to the bottom of problem skin and the way to amp up dull skin.


1) Water, water, water
First and foremost...water. Water is ultimately going to hydrate you from the inside out. I suggest drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily. If you hate the taste of water, add some lemon (slices of cucumber in water actually flushes out toxins and assists in weight loss) or try mixing a teeny bit of juice for flavor. Also, if you're a coffee drinker, you must make sure to drink responsibly: for every cup of coffee you consume, please drink 2x that amount of water. Coffee is great to wake you up, and there have even been some studies that prove caffeine keeps skin cells young, but you must know that it severely dehydrates the body. Make up for lost fluids by drinking lots of water.

2) Moisturizer
In my opinion, A GOOD moisturizer is the best present you can give your skin. If you start young, apply religiously and often, you will end up saving yourself a lot of heartache and botox dollars later on. Over the years I have tried many...too many to mention. Moisturizers are very personal and most target specific skin types. If you have questions about what products to try, I recommend starting with a skin consult with an aesthetician to find out what skin type you have. Allure magazine publishes a top 100 product list every year which I keep in my wallet for quick reference when I shop. Here's a link to it: Allure Best of Beauty 2009. I am currently using day and night moisturizers by Skin Ceuticals {and loving them}. I always order skincare from an online store, skinstore.com. Once you know what you like, stick with it. Order things in advance so you don't run out and have to use year old samples in a pinch. They also give a maj-ah discount to members, 20% off, so definitely take advantage of this!

3) Hydrating Masks
One of life's simplest pleasures. Applying a moisturizing mask 1-2 times a week is something I believe in quite passionately. It's not only incredibly soothing, but also very important to saturate your skin with moisture from all ends. The mask works directly on your cells and really gets that GLOW going. One of my favorite things to do is: shower, put hair up in a bun to dry and apply a mask. It makes me feel so old Hollywood glamour. First clean your skin and dry it. Next, apply the mask, with clean fingers or a clean makeup brush. Then, get comfortable, crank up the Ella Fitzgerald and grab a VOGUE to just relax for a bit. Feel the mask working on your face like a thousand teeny facialists primping and pruning those cells. I love my Ling Moisturizing Mask and while they recommend leaving it on for 20 minutes, I like to sleep in it. If you have oily or acne prone skin, choose a clay or clarifying mask to treat the blemishes.

To sum up:
- Moisturizing your skin is a way of turning back the clock.
- It's never too early or too late to start.
- Find a few products that work and stick with them.
- Too much moisture is never ever enough.

Next week: "Lifestyle Choices That Enhance Your Skin"
pics via: here, miss at la playa, christy turlington by juergen teller, stam on studded hearts

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Lesley said...

Hi Lis!

Congrats on the avon walk :)

If you like the skinceuticals night cream with 10%AHA you MUST try the cheaper version....Aplpha Hydrox Souffle 12% Glycolic AHA. It's only $15 (on drugstore.com). It's my favorite (budget) night time moisturizer.

October 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger bananas. said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! i lovee this post. your skin always looks so fab and now that i know some of your skin secrets, i can't wait to GLOW just like you!

October 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hello?! you're right...I have no idea how or why you weren't on my roll. this has been fixed!
first of all, congrats on the walk. ah-maze-ing. can't wait to see photos!

second, i heart Liz:)

third, yes, you do have GORGE skin. I've told you this before and I'm glad someone else noticed too:) you know I'm all about the moisturizer and I too have tried countless ones since I began moisturizing when I was a girl of 13 and my grandmother basically made me! Now I can't be without it, of course. My personal favorites are Estee Lauder Day Wear or Future Perfect or for drugstore brands, which I also happen to really like, Clean and Clear Daily Glow. This moisturizer is amazing and so cheap. It does wonders and really does make your skin glow!

The water of course is so important...everything you put in your body is important but it's especially important to hydrate. In fact, another option for people who don't like water is to drink seltzer. we go through about 10 bottle a week. loves it. sodium free of course:)

xx

October 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous. ..and you look adorable!!! love your braid.

October 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Marie said...

FUCKING AMAZING! (I know, the whole cussing thing...working on it...kinda)

I am in love with you, your orgasmic skin and this post! I am printing and studying and stalking you like the good friend I am.

I use SkinCeuticals and the price slays me but it's worth it, allllthough I think I need to switch my products up-I have the CE pherulic serum and I don't think it's really moisturizing enough-have you ever used that?

Seriously. This comment could (and should) be an email. And just might be in a sec.

Thank you so much for doing this! I love love love you!! I want coffee right now...but should prob have water!

ok srsly going now...

October 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Aline said...

you are totally glowing lady!!!

I am so bad about the water, but I really REALLY try!!!

I moisturize like crazy and I have combo skin, but I agree...I break out more when I don't moisturize!!!

I'm crazy for the bliss triple oxygen moisture mask...my weekly obsession!

October 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Iva Messy said...

you have beautiful skin! fabulous! love the hair ;) wonderful tips!

Have a great Monday!

October 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger frenchie said...

thanks for that post. am i the only one who's skin was actually BETTER at 15??? i'm desperate to get it back to great!! but i def don't drink enough water....will work on that from...well just now!
also glad to know i'm not the only one using year old sample when running out of moisturizer...
xxx

October 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Miss Liz is right...you have fantastic skin (this coming from a plastic surgery center administrator/skin care specialist!) Beautiful!!! I have patients that pay thousands of dollars for this skin! To bad I can't just tell them to drink more water...job security :)

October 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

You do have lovely skin! Thanks for tips :)

October 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger . said...

Thanks for the great skin tips!

October 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Midtown Girl said...

You do look amazing - and thank you for the tips darling!

XOXO
Amy

October 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Ela said...

Thanks for sharing, I do 1. and 2. but skip the hydrating mask! I can't wait to try and hope I glow like you :) Your skin is perfect!

October 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said...

your skin is GORGEOUS...thanks for the tips!

October 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also hydrating leave on mask for overnight from amore pacific is awesome!!!! i love these posts, cant wait for second one

October 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips, thanks!!! You DO have amazing skin. For those in their 30s...I find the AHAs make for a fast and serious improvement too.

October 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooooow! You do have gorgeous, glowing skin! I will have to make your beauty regimen mine! Thanks for the tips, gorgeous!!

October 12, 2009 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

damn girl! your skin is gorgeous! thanks for the tips!

October 13, 2009 at 12:35 AM  
Blogger Honey Bee said...

I love these tips!!! Clarins is my favourite product so far!

October 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i know i'm supposed to do the water thing ( i can definitely do the coffee thing.) BUT.....don't you have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes???? my bladder can't handle the water.....how to remedy this major issue, it's the only thing keeping me from proper hydration. xoxoxo.

October 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great advice - and really well written....I feel like printing it out :)

And yes, you have amazing skin....wow!

:)

October 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger The Countess of Nassau County said...

Great post.

I've been through the ringer lately and my skin shows it. Can't wait to use these tips to give it some TLC.

October 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Shaista said...

Another amazing post. Love your tutorials - but particularly this one, because your own skin, your stunning face is all the advertisement we need. Why don't we drink tons of water? It's so essential, and yet, in cold countries like England, difficult to opt for instead of the hotter drinks :)

October 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Krissy (Shimmer Like Gold) said...

This is a fantastic post. Thanks for sharing your skin care trials and errors! I'll admit, I've been a bit lax in my skin care this past year (I like to blame my thesis for that, but it's really my own fault, I suppose). So I'll take this as my cue to start the road of healing!

And sorry to comment spam you! It was high time I visited my fellow Lily & the Muse contributors blogs, and I've fallen in love with yours. :D

xx

January 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home